You are invited to participate in the 2018 Global Survey of Mathematical, Computing, and Natural Scientists.
You will find the survey at
The survey is available in seven languages (English, French, Russian, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, and Japanese). Simply choose your language on the first page of the survey.
The survey is part of an interdisciplinary collaboration of eleven partners, supported by the International Council for Science (ICSU), which aims to better understand the problems mathematical, computing, and natural science academics and practitioners are facing around the world. The partners are:
1. International Mathematical Union (IMU)
2. International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC)
3. International Union for Pure and Applied Physics (IUPAP)
4. International Council for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (ICIAM)
5. International Astronomical Union (IAU)
6. United National Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
7. International Union of Biological Sciences (IUBS)
8. Gender in Science, Innovation, Technology and Engineering (GenderInSITE)
9. International Union of History and Philosophy of Science and Technology (IUHPST)
10. Organization for Women in Science for the Developing World (OWSD)
11. Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
One of the specific tasks for the project is to collect data across the world to inform policy makers from all countries, especially developing countries, about reducing the gap between men and women in mathematical, computing, and natural sciences. The data are being collected by the non-profit Statistical Research Center of the American Institute of Physics. Responses to this survey are voluntary, and your individual information will be held in strict confidence. We are aiming for thousands of respondents from every corner of the world!
We will also need your help to find more respondents (men and women), to answer this survey. Please forward this e-mail to send it to anyone (both men and women) who has studied or worked in mathematics, computing, natural sciences, or the history and philosophy of science and technology. You can find the cover letters in all seven languages of the survey here:
It is only by hearing from as many people as possible that we can understand the worldwide situation for people in these fields.
Thank you for your help with this important effort.